If you've ever dreamed of making a short film but thought it was out of reach... Think again.
This practical step-by-step guide will help you achieve that goal. And that's whether you're a beginner or even a more experienced filmmaker making their first short with a smartphone.
In this course I use my iPhone shot short film "Preowned" as a case study and with it will teach you the fundamentals of taking an idea and writing it into a script - and then actually how to successfully turn that script into a short film.
I cover these topics and more:
- Writing a low-budget script
- How to pay for the short film
- Casting actors
- Booking crew
- Pre-production steps
- Script breakdown
- Storyboarding & Shot lists
- Production advice
- What gear to use
- Post-production workflows
- Director's commentary of "Preowned"
Included in the course:
- 33 video lessons / 2.5 hours of educational content
- PDF version of "The DIY Short Film Guide" (print it and/or have a digital copy)
- PDF downloads of the "Preowned" script, storyboards, shot list and more
- Production form templates (talent release, call sheet and more)
- Other award-winning iPhone shot short film examples with behind-the-scenes
- Additional resources and links (gear, apps, books and more)
The best thing too is once you learn all these skills, they will stay with you and can be used regardless of the kind of cameras or projects you make in the future.
Who is this course for?
- Anyone wanting to make a no-budget to low-budget DIY short film
- The lessons in this course can apply to any and all kinds of productions (music videos, documentaries, etc.), but are geared here towards narrative film
- A smartphone and a video camera app. Any device, old or new is fine. And then a video editing app (doesn't matter which one).
- This is a beginner's course, so no filmmaking experience is required. Though some familiarity with filmmaking terms and concepts would be ideal.
- Please note: I use an iPhone and the FiLMiC Pro V6 app, but it does NOT matter what phone or app you use. This course is about making a DIY short film and not specific products (although some are demonstrated). If you're looking to learn the FiLMiC Pro app then consider my comprehensive training course "The Complete Guide To FiLMiC Pro V6". Or for more technical and hands-on gear training look at my course "Smartphone Cinematography 101". And if you're also interested in the post-production side of things consider my course "LumaFusion Color Grading 101.
***BUNDLE THIS COURSE AND SAVE to learn an experimental DIY filmmaking approach, too! Go here to learn more.
Don't wait to create! Start today and unlock the potential of the amazing camera you carry in your pocket.
The iPhoneographers is a YouTube channel and website empowering mobile and DIY filmmakers. We make tutorials, gear reviews, how-to videos, short films and more. Founded by filmmaker Blake Calhoun and telling stories with an iPhone since 2012.