Go behind-the-scenes with this informative filmmaker commentary that dives deep into our DIY filmmaking process. The goal being to not only share how we made the 20 short films in 20 days, but to teach and inspire you to do the same. And by the way, this applies to all kinds of indie filmmaking - not just making movies with smartphones.
What will you learn?
- Our daily process of how we made the 20 short films in 20 days using an iPhone and how you can apply this to your own projects
- A general overview of the video camera app we used called FiLMiC Pro
- A breakdown and overview of the gear and DIY filmmaking methods used for all 20 short films through a filmmaker commentary track
- 10 practical tips for starting an indie project like this including some general best practices for shooting and editing
- This is not a technical series. It's more about the thought process and inspiration that you need to do zero budget, DIY short films and movies
On our YouTube channel we focus a lot on the tools and tech that get used for making films - and we love that stuff. But, technology changes all the time, and so we also like to share the craft and many techniques that we've learned over the past 15 plus years making films professionally.
Who is this for?
- This series is for anyone interested in our do-it-yourself style of indie filmmaking using a smartphone (or whatever camera you have). So whether you're a beginner just getting started or are experienced and looking to try something different or new.
Please note: This is NOT a "lecture-style" online training series. While we discuss how we made the films and what we did on each - it is primarily through a filmmaker commentary track as you watch the movies. The FiLMiC Pro and FCPX segments are tutorial-style training. This series is designed as a behind-the-scenes look at our DIY filmmaking approach and is not overly technical.
We also sell this series on Vimeo if you'd prefer to watch it on that platform. Thank you!
Blake Calhoun is an award-winning filmmaker who over the past 15+ years has made a variety of feature films, short films, and digital series along with hundreds of commercials and corporate projects. He's also been using FiLMiC Pro since 2012 and is the founder of the popular mobile filmmaking YouTube channel The iPhoneographers.